Despite global efforts to increase HIV test uptake among men who have sex with men (MSM), social stigma and negative attitudes toward homosexuality hinder the effectiveness of traditional test promotion campaigns. Increasing HIV test uptake requires greater understanding of the conditions that facilitate decisions to get tested.
We conducted an online survey hosted by two of the most highly frequented MSM web portals in China. A generalised ordered logistic regression analysis was conducted to determine factors associated with HIV testing behaviour. Compared to men who had never tested for HIV, men who had tested in the past year were more likely to have never engaged in sex with women, have multiple male sex partners in the past 3 months and have disclosed their sexual orientation to others. MSM found testing at local Chinese Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (80.7%), gay men's community-based organisations (80.2%) and public hospitals (70.9%) to be acceptable, while saunas (50.5%) and gay bars (41.8%) were found to be unacceptable testing venues.
Our study shows that MSM in China prefer to test at venues that guarantee confidentiality, quality and quick results. Our study also suggests that self-testing may be a feasible approach to increase test uptake.
Purchase full article at: http://goo.gl/K63f8T
- 1 University of North Carolina Project - China , Guangzhou , People's Republic of China.
- 2 Department of Biostatistics, Gillings School of Global Public Health , University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill , Chapel Hill , NC , USA.
- 3 Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics & Global Health Sciences , University of California - San Francisco , San Francisco , CA , USA.
- 4 Department of Health Behavior, Gillings School of Global Public Health , University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill , Chapel Hill , NC , USA.
- 5 Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai , New York , NY , USA.
- 6 Guangtong - Lingnan MSM Community Support Center , Guangzhou , People's Republic of China.
- 7 Department of Geography , University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill , Chapel Hill , NC , USA.
- 8 School of Medicine , University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill , Chapel Hill , NC , USA.
- Glob Public Health. 2016 Jan 19:1-14.
More at: https://twitter.com/hiv insight