Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Population Sexual Behavior and HIV Prevalence in Sub-Saharan Africa: Missing links?

OBJECTIVES:
Patterns of sexual partnering should shape HIV transmission in human populations. Our objective was to assess empirical associations between population casual-sex behavior and HIV prevalence, and between different measures of casual-sex behavior.

METHODS:
An ecologic study design was applied to nationally-representative data, that of the Demographic and Health Surveys, in 25 countries in sub-Saharan Africa. Spearman rank correlation was used to assess different correlations for males and females and their statistical significance.

RESULTS:
Correlations between HIV prevalence and means and variances of the number of casual-sex partners were positive, but small and statistically insignificant. The majority of correlations across means and variances of the number of casual-sex partners were positive, large, and statistically significant. However, all correlations between the means, as well as variances, and the variance of unmarried females were weak and statistically insignificant.

CONCLUSIONS:
Population sexual behavior was not predictive of HIV prevalence across these countries. Nevertheless, the strong correlations across means and variances of sexual behavior suggest that self-reported sexual data are self-consistent and convey valid information content. Unmarried female behavior seemed puzzling, but could be playing an influential role in HIV transmission patterns.

Full PDF article at:   http://goo.gl/k0QtVu  Abstract: http://goo.gl/rkvsXB

  • 1Division of Bioinformatics, Research Center for Zoonosis Control, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 001-0020, Japan; Infectious Disease Epidemiology Group, Weill Cornell Medicine - Qatar, Cornell University, Qatar Foundation - Education City, Doha, Qatar; Department of Healthcare Policy and Research, Weill Cornell Medicine, Cornell University, New York, New York, USA; JST, PRESTO, 4-1-8 Honcho, Kawaguchi, Saitama, 332-0012, Japan. Electronic address: omori@czc.hokudai.ac.jp.
  • 2Infectious Disease Epidemiology Group, Weill Cornell Medicine - Qatar, Cornell University, Qatar Foundation - Education City, Doha, Qatar; Department of Healthcare Policy and Research, Weill Cornell Medicine, Cornell University, New York, New York, USA; College of Public Health, Hamad bin Khalifa University, Doha, Qatar. Electronic address: lja2002@qatar-med.cornell.edu. 




1 comment:

  1. Hi, I work in a communication company I want to share my testimony to the world, my name is Doris pinto, i am from united kingdom in belfast north ireland, I was a stripper in a club I got effected with HIV due to the nature of my job, In april 15 2013 i was tested positive to HIV, Believe it or not this is a true life experience. This is not design to convince you but its just a personal health experience . I never taught doctor Abija could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but I couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i came across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of this great powerful healing spell doctor ,I wonder why he is called the great papa Abija, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so I quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and so i did all the things he asked me to do, He never collected any money from me until I was finally cured, only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i went to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing doctor Abija gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too on his email: spirituallighthealing101@live.com thank you doctor for healing me from HIV. I am free and happy!

    ReplyDelete