The purpose of this study was to conduct a systematic content analysis of sex tour websites to understand how sex tours are marketed to potential clients.
A total of 380 web pages from 21 sex tour websites were reviewed. The sex tour websites sought to promote privacy and hassle-free travel with a local 'escort' and the opportunity for 'hooks-ups' with no strings attached. Three themes emerged around the description of sex workers:
- enjoyment and complete acceptance,
- a 'total girlfriend experience' and
- exoticisation of the 'Third World' woman.
It is of importance for researchers, social workers and others engaging with sex workers and sexscapes to recognise the power of language, cultural myths and framings and their ability to generate real-world social and health implications.
Purchase full article at: http://goo.gl/L8OvMX
- 1 College of Social Work, University of Utah (http://socialwork.utah.edu/), Salt Lake City , USA.
- 2 College of Social Work, The Ohio State University , Columbus , USA.
- Cult Health Sex. 2016 Jan 13:1-14.
More at: https://twitter.com/hiv insight