“… Because of the ban we [bar girls] have to sell our rooms, our jewellery; we are facing lot of problems. Circumstances have made us to do what we did not wish to do [sex-work]. Previously we used to take one week just to tell our name to the customer. Now when a bar girl walks on the road, looking at man, at the back of her mind, she thinks - this is a rich person, he should come to me. … We used to think several times before taking one customer in a month. Now we take four customers in a day. Earlier what we used to earn through dance now we are not getting by sleeping.” [ORWs & PEs, (23)].
“Yes, at the time of breaking seal (virginity) the condom is not used. For that they pay INR 40,000 to 50,000 [about USD 1000/-] for [being with the girl for] 24 hours. They keep the girl for one or two days with them, and do the sex with her by drinking liquor. They [clients] think that since the girl is ‘seal pack’ she does not have HIV infection. So they do not use condom.” [PE, (6)].
“I have an HIV positive sex worker … even when she knows her status and after we have counselled her, she does not use condom with her regular partner. He knows about the fact that she is positive; … he told us that because he loved her he wouldn’t use condom [with her].” [Head, CBO (15)]...
Full article at: http://goo.gl/aHwsvI
- 1Independent Senior Research Professional in Bioethics, Global Health, and Program Evaluation, Pune, MH, 411 008, India. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2School of Health Systems Studies, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai, MH, India. email@example.com.
- 3Present address: Norwegian Red Cross, Vestlia 4, Jessheim, Norway. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4Independent Senior Research Professional, Pune, MH, India. email@example.com.
- 5London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 15-17 Tavistock Place, London, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BMC Public Health. 2016 Jan 28;16(1):85. doi: 10.1186/s12889-016-2737-2.
More at: https://twitter.com/hiv insight