This study aims to determine the relationship between recreational drug use in HIV-positive males in the past year and socio-economic factors and/or social support networks in Japan.
A national online survey in a cross-sectional study was conducted by HIV Futures Japan project from July 2013 to February 2014. Of the 1095 HIV-positive individuals who responded, 913 responses were determined to be valid; responses from the 875 males were analysed. A total of 282 participants used addictive drugs (32.2%) in past year.
New psychoactive substances were used by 121 participants (13.8%), methamphetamine or amphetamine by 47 (5.4%), air dusters/sprays/gas by 31 (3.5%), 5-methoxy-N,N-diisopropyltryptamine (5MeO-DIPT) by 16 (1.8%) and cannabis (1.0%) by 9.
Multiple logistic regression analysis was performed with the use of alkyl nitrites, addictive drugs, air dusters and thinners, which are low illegality, as dependent variables. We found that the odds ratio (95% confidence interval) for use among participants with full-time and temp/contracted/part-time employees compared to management/administration professions were 2.59 (0.99-6.77) and 2.61 (0.91-7.51).
Also, a correlation was observed between alkyl nitrites and new psychoactive substances and usage rates in people engaged in few HIV-positive networks. It is necessary to develop targeted policies for drug use prevention and user support among HIV-positive men and to support and provide care for drug users who are isolated or have a narrow HIV/AIDS support network.
Purchase full article at:
By: Togari T1, Inoue Y1, Takaku Y2, Abe S3, Hosokawa R4, Itagaki T5, Yoshizawa S6, Oki S7, Katakura N8, Yamauchi A9, Wakabayashi C10, Yajima T3,11.
- 1 Faculty of Liberal Arts , the Open University of Japan , Chiba , Japan.
- 2 Japan Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS , Tokyo , Japan.
- 3 Division of Health Management , TIS Inc ., Tokyo , Japan.
- 4 School of Nursing , Nagoya City University , Nagoya , Japan.
- 5 Accelight Inc ., Tokyo , Japan.
- 6 ANGEL LIFE NAGOYA , Nagoya , Japan.
- 7 Faculty of Nursing , Kyorin University , Mitaka , Japan.
- 8 Kobe City College of Nursing , Kobe , Japan.
- 9 School of Nursing , Tokyo Medical University , Tokyo , Japan.
- 10 Department of Health Sciences , Saitama Prefectural University , Koshigaya , Japan.
- 11 PLACE TOKYO , Tokyo , Japan.
- AIDS Care. 2016 Feb 17:1-9.
More at: https://twitter.com/hiv insight