Saturday, April 2, 2016

Cross-Cultural Adaptation of the Male Genital Self-Image Scale in Iranian Men

INTRODUCTION:
Certain sexual health problems in men can be attributed to genital self-image. Therefore, a culturally adapted version of a Male Genital Self-Image Scale (MGSIS) could help health professionals understand this concept and its associated correlates.

AIM:
To translate the original English version of the MGSIS into Persian and to assess the psychometric properties of this culturally adapted version (MGSIS-I) for use in Iranian men.

METHODS:
In total, 1,784 men were recruited for this cross-sectional study. Backward and forward translations of the MGSIS were used to produce the culturally adapted version. Reliability of the MGSIS-I was assessed using Cronbach α and intra-class correlation coefficients. Divergent and convergent validities were examined using Pearson correlation and known-group validity was assessed in subgroups of participants with different sociodemographic statuses. Factor validity of the scale was investigated using exploratory and confirmatory factor analyses.

MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:
Demographic information, the International Index of Erectile Function, the Body Appreciation Scale, the Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale, and the MGSIS.

RESULTS:
Mean age of participants was 38.13 years (SD = 11.45) and all men were married. Cronbach α of the MGSIS-I was 0.89 and interclass correlation coefficients ranged from 0.70 to 0.94. Significant correlations were found between the MGSIS-I and the International Index of Erectile Function (P < .01), whereas correlation of the scale with non-similar scales was lower than with similar scale (confirming convergent and divergent validity). The scale could differentiate between subgroups in age, smoking status, and income (known-group validity). A single-factor solution that explained 70% variance of the scale was explored using exploratory factor analysis (confirming uni-dimensionality); confirmatory factor analysis indicated better fitness for the five-item version than the seven-item version of the MGSIS-I (root mean square error of approximation = 0.05, comparative fit index > 1.00 vs root mean square error of approximation = 0.10, comparative fit index > 0.97, respectively).

CONCLUSION:
The MGSIS-I is a useful instrument to assess genital self-image in Iranian men, a concept that has been associated with sexual function. Further investigation is needed to identify the applicability of the scale in other cultures or populations.

Table 2Score, SD, and Cronbach α of the Seven-Item MGSIS in a Population Sample of 1,764 Men and Test-Retest Reliability in a Subsample of 1,554 Men
MeanSDICC (95% CI)Cronbach αItem-total correlation
I feel positively about my genitals2.960.740.94 (0.93–0.95)0.56
I am satisfied with the appearance of my genitals3.010.730.88 (0.87–0.90)0.63
I would feel comfortable letting a sexual partner look at my genitals2.850.950.70 (0.67–0.73)0.72
I am satisfied with the size of my genitals2.810.950.89 (0.87–0.90)0.70
I think my genitals work the way they are supposed to work3.090.750.85 (0.83–87)0.59
I feel comfortable letting a health care provider examine my genitals2.340.890.78 (0.72–0.84)0.66
I am not embarrassed about my genitals3.070.810.88 (0.86–0.89)0.61
MGSIS-720.393.880.88 (0.87–0.89)0.89
ICC = interclass correlation coefficient; MGSIS = Male Genital Self-Image Scale.

Full article at:   http://goo.gl/CG3qAj

  • 1Health Research Center, Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran.
  • 2Social Determinants of Health Research Center, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences, Qazvin, Iran. Electronic address: Pakpour_Amir@yahoo.com.
  • 3Department of Psychology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland.
  •  2016 Mar;4(1):e34-42. doi: 10.1016/j.esxm.2015.12.005. 



No comments:

Post a Comment