This cross-sectional survey measured adult experience and perpetration of negative and potentially abusive behaviours with partners and its associations with mental and sexual health problems, drug and alcohol abuse in gay and bisexual men attending a UK sexual health service.
Of 532 men, 33.9% (95% CI: 29.4-37.9) experienced and 16.3% (95% CI: 13.0-19.8) reported carrying out negative behaviour. Ever being frightened of a partner (aOR 2.5; 95% CI: 2.0-3.1) and having to ask a partner's permission (aOR 2.7; 95% CI: 1.6-4.7) were associated with increased odds of being anxious. There were increased odds of cannabis use in the last 12 months amongst men who reported ever being physically hurt (aOR 2.4; 95% CI: 1.7-3.6). Being frightened (aOR 2.2; 95% CI: 1.5-3.2), being physically hurt (aOR 2.3; 95% CI: 1.4-3.8), being forced to have sex (aOR 2.5; 95% CI: 1.3-4.9) and experiencing negative behaviour in the last 12 months (aOR 1.7; 95% CI: 1.2-2.5) were associated with increased odds of using a Class A drugs in the last 12 months.
Sexual health practitioners should be trained with regards to the risk indicators associated with domestic violence and abuse, how to ask about domestic violence and abuse and refer to support.
Purchase full article at: http://goo.gl/SAhfHN
By: Bacchus LJ1, Buller AM2, Ferrari G3, Peters TJ4, Devries K2, Sethi G5, White J5, Hester M6, Feder GS3.
- 1Faculty of Public Health and Policy, Gender Violence and Health Centre, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK Loraine.Bacchus@lshtm.ac.uk.
- 2Faculty of Public Health and Policy, Gender Violence and Health Centre, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK.
- 3Centre for Academic Primary Care, School of Social and Community Medicine, University of Bristol, UK.
- 4School of Clinical Sciences, University of Bristol, UK.
- 5Department of Genitourinary Medicine, Guy's and St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, UK.
- 6Centre for Gender Violence Research, School for Policy Studies, University of Bristol, UK.
- Int J STD AIDS. 2016 Jan 6. pii: 0956462415622886.
More at: https://twitter.com/hiv insight