Correlates of past-year suicidal ideation and lifetime suicide risk among a national sample of transgender veterans were examined.
An online, convenience sample of 212 U.S. transgender veterans participated in a cross-sectional survey in February-May 2014. We evaluated associations between sociodemographic characteristics, stigma, mental health, and psychosocial resources with past-year suicidal ideation and lifetime suicide plans and attempts.
Participants reported high rates of past-year suicidal ideation (57%) as well as history of suicide plan or attempt (66%).Transgender-related felt stigma during military service and current posttraumatic stress disorder and depressive symptoms were associated with suicide outcomes as were economic and demographic factors.
Purchase full article at: http://goo.gl/fF63BV
- 1Health Services Research & Development (HSR&D) Center of Innovation (COIN), VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA, USA.
- 2Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center (MIRECC), VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA, USA.
- 3Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA.
- 4Department of Health Services, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA.
- 5Center of Excellence in Substance Abuse and Treatment (CESATE), VA Puget Sound Health Care System, Seattle, WA, USA.
- 6Department of Veterans Affairs, LGBT Program, Washington, DC, USA.
- 7VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA, USA.
- 8Women's Health Sciences Division, National Center for PTSD, Boston, MA, USA.
- 9Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA.
- Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2016 Feb 15. doi: 10.1111/sltb.12233.
More at: https://twitter.com/hiv insight