Little is known about men's sexual desire for and erotic attraction to male-to-female transgender women. To better understand how erotic desire is constructed, this study examined the narratives of a sample of heterosexual men who had had an occasional sexual encounter with a transgender woman.
Open-ended qualitative interviews were conducted with 16 heterosexual men who reported at least one sexual encounter with a transgender woman in the previous 12 months. Using principles of Grounded Theory, three themes emerged:
- the erotic desire that transpired from a transgender woman's construction of her femininity,
- the sexual act that dictated the specific navigation of a transgender woman's penis and
- the sexual dissonance that resulted from being a heterosexually identified man having sex with a partner who had a penis.
The role of the 'illusion' was central to the meaning and construction of erotic desire. These narratives provided another framework for continuing discourse on the complexity of erotic desire.
Purchase full article at: http://goo.gl/ruljKP
- 1 Friends Research Institute, Inc. , Los Angeles , USA.
- 2 Integrated Substance Abuse Programs, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior , University of California at Los Angeles , California , USA.
- 3 Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences; Bixby Center for Global Reproductive Health , University of California at San Francisco , San Francisco , USA.
- 4 Department of Philosophy , California State University , Los Angeles , USA.
- Cult Health Sex. 2016 Mar 11:1-13.
More at: https://twitter.com/hiv insight